Friday, July 17, 2020

Cloudy with a Chance of Bliss

Despite Typhoon Falcon and another low pressure area brewing, I decided to still go through with my solo trip from Vigan to Pagudpud. The last time I was here was in 2011. I've been to a lot of beaches all over the country and in other countries but there's just something about this place that strikes a chord in me.

When I got there after more than three hours, it was very cloudy and drizzling. It was a weekday and there were few to none tourists on the beach. I decided to swim and eventually the drizzle broke into heavy rain. I was happy, like a child excited with the rain.

I decided to lie on the sand and close my eyes. It's amazing how many different sounds the rain can make when you listen with intention: when it pelts on your skin, when it falls on sand, and when it dives to the sea like a fleet of miniature pelicans. Then I noticed all other sounds: the soda-hissing beat of the waves as they retreat back from crashing the shore as well as the sound of sand grains scraping each other like small diamonds being jiggled. All these sounds are transformed when you turn over and press your ear to the ground. Into muffled thumps and thuds relaxing to the ear.

I laid there for quite a while. Suddenly, all sounds faded. Then I heard my breathing, calm and deep. I heard my heartbeat, steady and unhurried. Then I heard bliss. And I caught myself smiling. I was exactly where I had to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments. =O)