Saturday, October 4, 2014

What This Love Requires



Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that this is an essay on soft, gooey, mushy love, be forewarned that it is not. But this is going to be a short article on a kind of love that is as grand as any other form of love. It is about love and counseling.

I got reacquainted today with the reason why I took up Psychology. I wanted to be a guidance counselor. This might come as unexpected to some of my friends and may even draw a laugh from a few but yeah, I wanted to become one. This afternoon, I was blessed to have been a part of the facilitating team for one of the activities of the Counseling Seminar for our third year students. I realized that the rush that I got was the same high as when I do training. The experience made me wonder where I would be right now if I took that path.

Coincidentally, when I got home from this activity, I watched the movie Heaven is Real. There was a line in the movie that struck a deep chord. It said that "The one thing this love requires is to let others know they're not alone." I guess that is what counseling is all about --- love. Of reminding others that there's someone who is willing to accompany them in whatever challenging journey they're going through.

So to all my students who feel the pull to become a counselor, nurture it. The world needs love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments. =O)